illustration friday: surrender
February 1, 2011 § 1 Comment
- ‘hand over, relinquish, submit…yield to habit…give up rights’ – Oxford English Dictionary
- The Last Time I Saw Richard by Joni Mitchell (especially the part that says ‘Richard got married to a figure skater, and he bought her a dishwasher and a coffee percolator and he drinks at home now most nights with the TV on and all the house lights left up bright’)
- the tense and wobbly relationship between creativity/freedom/spontaneity/romanticism/courage and stability/security/social acceptability/being sensible.
- ‘brittle with exhaustion from her battle against Real Life’ – The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
- ‘pragmatism not idealism’ – Fitter, Happier, Radiohead (but find and listen to the whole song because it is hypnotic and chilling and excellent)