April 17, 2012 § Leave a comment
I have spent the last 2 weeks eating and drawing and swimming and lying in the sun in Southern Spain. It was glorious. Here are doodles…
Things I would especially recommend…
- Visiting the Alhambra, as much as possible and at all times of day, but especially the Nasrid Palaces at night – I felt as though I had stumbled into a fairy story.
- Eating churros and chocolate until you can’t stand up.
- Walking around the Real Monasterio de San Jeronimo in Granada, where nuns have painted the inside of the chapel. All over. In a sort of glorious and slightly terrifying choas – corpulent cherubs and impressionistic pastoral scenes and multicoloured Moorish-inspired patterns and trompe l’oiel monochrome work and simulated marble textures in the style of bad 1980s DIY magazines and actual beautiful ancient marble and carved wood and hideous Catholic statues and beautiful sinuous elegant arches and stained glass windows and a towering eyeful of gold leaf, all crammed in together. Prepare for visual hangover.
- Being stunned by the caves at Nerja, which are huge and surreal and magic.
- Eating cane honey in Frigiliana.
- the Picasso museum in Malaga – joyous.