June 13, 2013 § Leave a comment
Today I finished an embroidery project, felt all smug, and then looked at the work of Maricor/Maricar and felt completely inferior and completely inspired. Would you just look at this stitchery?!
December 26, 2012 § Leave a comment
September 10, 2012 § Leave a comment
These incredible photographs of Picasso drawing with a torch, by photographer Gjon Mili:-
(More pictures and fascinating words here. Go and have a look.)
This (the sounds, not the visuals) by Alt-J. Blooming beautiful:-
July 17, 2012 § Leave a comment
I have just come back from 4 days of music, mud, pies and cider here. It was lovely. I drew on wallpaper in a session with Simone Lia and Karrie Fransman. I laughed hard at Tim Minchin and Doc Brown. I listened to too much beautiful music to list, and I had my heart blown open by Bon Iver‘s set.
Because I am still sleepy and happy and consequently ridiculously soft and sentimental, here is this. It is on the cusp of being a guilty pleasure, but still a joy.
June 28, 2012 § Leave a comment
Today has been brightened up significantly by these gorgeous shortlisted drawings for the book illustration competition 2012. I especially love the ones by Sidsel Sorenson (her howling wolves are delightful) and Igor Karash (they remind me of Arthur Rackham’s delicate line-and-wash).
Go and have a look. It’s a great selection of images.
June 9, 2012 § Leave a comment
Well well, it’s been an awful long time! I have mainly been
- doing my full time job
- getting ready to start my teacher training in September – coming to terms with moving my life back home to my parents’ big warm house after years of living away from it, reading a lot, and filling in forms. A lot of filling in forms.
- knitting mindlessly (you can see some of my adventures with needles and yarn here)
- becoming addicted to the dubiously idealised world of Pinterest
- working on a private non-blogable project
- running away at weekends for hill-walking, late-night gossip with friends, cocktails and Turkish food in That London, and learning about bats with my nearly-two-year-old nephew (who now wants to sleep hanging from his toes by the headboard)
I’m not so much in a rut as too busy and all-over-the-place to focus on drawing, and whilst I do think that creativity requires periods of just living and being and looking and thinking and soaking life up like a hungry sponge, the lack of picture-making in my life lately has started to induce mild panic. Marvelous marvelous Neil Gaiman said this, and made me feel more alive:-
And I have started drawing faces, just enjoying the experience of moving a line around again. Here some are:-
April 2, 2012 § Leave a comment
(you can also see a woman with wings who may or may not be a harpy, and that on the brown paper is an ink-and-watercolour sketch I did of a ceramic figure by the brilliant Linda Kieft. Go and look at her work. It is stunning.)
Here is even more more of it in other people’s work…
While we’re on the subject, this poem by Cathy Song is beautiful too. This bit:-